- Peace Garden: War on Terror

War on Terror

Thursday, July 07, 2005

My thoughts are centered on the lives lost in London. But my thoughts also go to the lives lost in Iraq and Afghanistan - on all sides.

I abhor all violence so I in no way condone any action that causes pain and suffering. I condemn these bombings, but I hope that England seeks "justice" and not "revenge." In seeking justice and resolution I firmly believe that we must look at the causes of this act. Who really performed this act? We may never know. Can we destroy the network of "terrorists" who may have planned this act? I think it is clear that we cannot - the evidence is in the history of Algeria, Iraq, Afghanistan...

The war on terror is a war against a movement. It is not against a nation bound by borders, an army wearing a certain color of uniform, or a column of troops carrying a particular flag. It is against a movement where the believers are recruited by our occupation of Iraq, our support of the Saudi regime, our establishment of bases in the Mideast....

It is time to re-evaluate our actions in the World. We cannot spread our idea of freedom on people unwilling. We must instead treat all the world with respect, understanding, a helping hand...

It is time to be a "Superpower" as evidenced by our diplomacy rather than our weapons and control.



  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP