- Peace Garden: 12 miles for Peace

12 miles for Peace

Monday, August 23, 2004

...that is what I walked on a beautiful Sunday (8/22/04). My son (Dan) and I joined Peaceful Tomorrows pulling and pushing a memorial stone with the inscription "Unknown Civilians Killed in War". This Stonewalk was a joint project of Peaceful Tomorrows and The Peace Abbey. The stone,carried on a caisson, weighs close to 2.5 tons (including the caisson's weight). It passed through my area on its journey from Boston to NYC. The walk was so moving and meaningful to me I just had to do it.

Twelve miles seemed like a lot to me (or at least my feet) but I am humbled by the achievements of the "regulars". The core group pushed/pulled the stone up and down many hills the past weeks - they began their journey the last week of July. I was even more impressed by Ken-San walking the whole way barefooted and Jun-San, a Budddhist nun, who has clocked so many miles in the name of Peace. As I was pushing the caisson from behind up, one of the hills, I was struck by the feeling of being out-of-touch. For those 6 hours I had no radio, TV,or Internet to see/hear the news. So my mind wandered to my aching feet and the sweat dripping from my face. But as I was walking to the rhythm of the drum and chant from Ken-San and Jun-San, my mind was brought back into focus thinking about this memoral stone - this grave marker. As I was pushing this through the streets of SW CT, Najaf (Iraq) gravestones were being used as cover by soldiers and militia. There gravestones were being destroyed by mortars and bullets. I was in pain but safe from war's violence.

Rather than hide behind this grave marker - I was hoping to hold this memorial up as a statement that we must stop the insanity and strive for peace. I also realized that while I was hurting, my pain paled to the hurt brought about by this war, all wars and all violence.

I applaud Peaceful Tomorrows, The Peace Abbey and all Stonewalkers. I was happy to help in those 12 miles. While my feet and shoulders cannot be with them as they continue their journey, my heart definitely is pushing them up and down the last hills to NYC.

I hope we all can walk and talk for peace.



  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP