- Peace Garden: Taking the words out of my mouth

Taking the words out of my mouth

Friday, February 29, 2008

Obama Intends to Swap One Failed War for Another

Lately, in spite of my better judgment, I’ve found myself inflicted with a major case of “Obamania.” I cannot help but be excited at the prospect of a brilliant, younger-than-average, black president who could unite this polarized country against the failed policies of George W Bush. But each time I get optimistic that we are finally on the verge of entering a saner era, Obama makes a terribly foolish statement about the US occupation of Afghanistan. His latest quip is a prime example: in retaliating against McCain’s attacks on his position on the Iraq war, Obama responded: “I intend to bring [the Iraq war] to an end so that we can actually start going after al Qaeda in Afghanistan and in the hills of Pakistan like we should have been doing in the first place.” He simply wants to swap one failed war for another: out of Iraq and into Afghanistan.
If Obama intends on pursuing a more constructive policy in Afghanistan than the current one, I’m all for it.
I’m not saying Americans should not vote for Obama (assuming he ends up winning the Democratic nomination). On the contrary, he and the movement that supports him represents perhaps the most viable hope of ending the Iraq war on the horizon today. What I am suggesting is that Obama’s antiwar supporters ought to be prepared for the sleight-of-hand war-swapping he has planned. They can do that best by starting right now, to hold Obama accountable for his extremely mis-guided position on Afghanistan. They can do that by guiding him firmly toward the more constructive goal of ending that war too, which in the long term will do far more to actually end terrorism.
And his recent stance in regard to killers-for-hire should be added to the "move him in a more sensible direction" accountability.



  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP