- Peace Garden: A Father's Day Wish

A Father's Day Wish

Sunday, June 19, 2005

I was trimming the grass at the cemetary yesterday, cleaning the area around my father's memorial stone and the stones of my two uncles. There are not the headstones but the stones and plaques that list their military service. All three served and survived WWII. My uncles were in Europe and my father served in the Pacific.

I was thinking about my father and what his opinion of our war in Iraq and Afghanistan would be. I know that in 1972 he was a suppoertr of Nixon - I was not allowed to put a McGovern sticker on his car. But I also know he did not say anything about the peace signs on my jacket or the "speeches" I had at the family table. I know he was proud of his military service - but just maybe he was tired of war and wanted an end to our Vietnam mess. So what would he say about Iraq? I am not too sure, but I know he would listen to me continue my rants and raves at dinner tables. He would see my peace signs brought out again and look at my "Department of Peace" bumper sticker (now on my car and not his). He would also look at my three sons and worry about them if there was a draft.

I know that on this Father's Day, as we would be wishing each other a Happy Dad's Day, he would join me in wishing that we could bring all the fathers (and mothers, brothers, sisters....) home from Iraq and Afghanistan - end the occupation and war.



  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP